Spaghetti with Nomato SauceAuthor : Strive Health
Some kidney patients need to avoid high potassium foods such as tomatoes, which is why making a nomato sauce (a pasta sauce made with no tomatoes) is a great alternative! Instead, the red color in the sauce comes from beets. Beets add many beneficial vitamins and minerals, along with carrots, celery, onion, and garlic, for a kidney-friendly and delicious pasta dish.
- 4 cups cooked whole wheat pasta
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped beets
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp salt-free Italian mix seasoning
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- ¾ tsp salt
- Chop vegetables into small pieces. Steam cook chopped vegetables until well-done and tender.
- In a blender, add the steamed vegetables, vegetable broth, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt. Blend on high until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Plate the pasta and pour sauce on top, then serve.
Serves 4 / Nutrition info per serving: Calories 370, Fat 14g, Carbs 55g, Protein 10g, Sodium 580mg