Beef & Barley StewAuthor : Strive Health
Ditch the canned soups which are loaded with excess sodium and instead try this hearty homemade stew. This recipe is low sodium and therefore a better choice to promote good kidney and heart health!
- 8 ounces lean beef sirloin
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped green beans
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup dry barley
- 5 Tbsp plant-based butter
- Chop the beef into small bite-size pieces.
- Lightly brown the beef in a frying pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium size saucepan, add the browned beef, broth, chopped vegetables, barley, butter, seasoning mix, and salt.
- Turn heat up to a simmer and then cook for 30 minutes or until the barley is well done.
Serves 4 / Nutrition info per serving: Calories 465, Fat 19g, Carbs 53g, Protein 18g, Sodium 505mg